Monday, October 15, 2007

Productivity, and the such...

I've always been terrible at personal productivity. I'm great at figuring out what I need to do, but never excel at the actual implementation. I'm a planner, not a doer. So lately I've decided to become a doer. It's just better that way.
I found something I already like: Getting Things Done, or GTD for short. So I've become obsessed with getting organized and all of the little tips and tricks others before me have utilized. LifeHacker has some great tips and tricks. Most beneficial to me of late has been Jott. Jott lets me make a call from my cellphone, and record up to thirty seconds of audio which will then be transcribed (funny story about this after the serious stuff) and delivered to any email or cellphone (as a text message) that I have already identified to Jott.
On the surface this seems like it's going to be a simple tool that will let me record my thoughts while it would otherwise be impossible or unwise to write them down. (In the car, walking the hyperactive 50 lb puppy, etc.) And thus far that has been the case. But a slew of tools from the good folk over at google has completely revolutionized the way I use this already impressive (and free) service.
My favorite is Grinn Productions' Jott2GCal link. I can now call up Jott on my cell, speak in an event, and it'll be recorded on my Google Calendar when I log in next. I can also call it up and request a text message detailing events or ranges of events. Good stuff.
I'm also reaping huge benefits from creating "shadow" gmail accounts (myemail+music@gmail.com, myemail+restaurants@gmail.com) coupled with filters and labels in gmail. I make a contact in Jott named for each of the shadow accounts. Then, when I'm driving in my car, and I hear a song I really want to (in some manner or another) acquire, I call up Jott, tell it to send a message to my music account, and remind myself what exactly it was that I wanted to hear again.

Ok, humorous story(es) about Jott's transcription woes.
There's really only one story to tell, just different versions. The story goes like this: A guy calls up Jott, leaves a message. Jott's computer's try to figure out what he said, and if they can't they ship it overseas to India, where medical transcriptionists polish up on their transcription skills by typing out whatever the guy said that the computer never picked up.
The first one happened a couple of days ago when I previewed the Jott service to Mr. S. Ryan Mills. I called him a "No-talent Ass Hat," which the transcription service considered to be "[unintelligible speech.] "
That I can understand. I'm sure it happens often, some censorship, especially when obscure combinations of 'profanity' are thrown about.
But the one that happened today has been my favorite thus far:
I was driving home, and wanted to leave myself a note to have a mechanic guy I know look at a Jeep I want to buy. So I left the message "Call Shane tomorrow about the Jeep." It was transcribed much, much differently.
It seems I need to call Shane about some 'Vergina.' Not sure what it is, but apparently Shane does.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Glad to see another post. I don't know how to communicate in non-blog form. You are 20x more organized than I am, but then, I've got 6 characters in FF6 at lv. 99. I bet you don't.

-al said...

You are correct sir, i have no characters above the default level. And that's one thing that I really enjoy when i play them, RPG's. I really have fun, dive right into them, and then i miss a day and never play them again.
i don't know what that says about me.