Saturday, December 1, 2007

Working like crazy.

I've had some changes in my job situation, all for the better. I'll excerpt from an email i sent to Jim on this subject:

I've had a pretty good job for the last 9 months. I really enjoy it, it treats me pretty well.
But i'm not quite making the money i would like to make (paying down debt, buying the old lady a ring and making an honest woman out of her, etc...) so i've been shopping for a part time job for quite awhile.
I was totally transparent with my first job about looking for more work, and they were ok with the situation.
so i get hired at target, tell them about it, they're ok with it.
later that week (while waiting for target to get the results of my drug/background tests) my primary job gets two more big clients. this means a whole bunch of work is going to need to get done.
So i took a day off from the primary job to go into target to do the orientation, and got my over-worked schedule.
it was going to be pretty rough. I would work from 8-4:30 at job #1, then from 5-midnight at target.
But the next day at job #1, i was summoned to the VP's office, where i was essentially "bought back" from target.
I got a raise and plenty more responsibility. but i only have to work one job now.
I'm still working late into the night, but it's at home, where i can at least hang out with the old lady and our dogs. so things kinda worked out in my favor a little more than i thought they would.
I did have to go in and resign the day i was supposed to start training. that was awkward. but i quit before they had invested anything more in me than the hiring process and the single orientation session. i feel kinda bad about it, really, but it was never my intention to skate out of a job like that.
I was actually looking forward to working at Target. I don't get to interact with many people at Job #1. And the rare occasions I'm able to talk to someone outside my office, it's to have them answer a question for me. So I was looking forward to getting to talk to people and help them find some good electronics.

I've put in 60 hours this week, and have more tomorrow. Most people ask why i put up with it.
Why do I put put up with these huge hours? I believe in the company. I believe in the people, I believe in the concept behind the company. I also believe I have a future there. And that's something I've not really had yet. It all means I'm an adult now.
Eh. It's not so bad.

2 comments:

Heather K said...

Don't worry too much about Target. I am sure they are used to people taking a job and not quite making it tow working there. At least you told them up front. We have people who never tell us and just disappear.

Congratulations on the new gig dude!

Anonymous said...

I only wanna be with you april