Saturday, December 1, 2007

And now for something a little lighter

Now that I've got the long post about work out of the way, let me share something I found in my Google Reader this morning.


This first guy should have read the second guy's article.

I'm also writing from my ipod. I have the 30 gig fifth gen video, and a paltry 8 gigs worth of media to put on it. Then I realized (with the help of a few LifeHacker articles) that the ipod is just a portable hard drive with a couple of buttons that let you play media contained inside the drive. (Provided it was imported with the proprietary software and in the correct format...) And here I was just sitting on 20+ gigs of portable storage space.

So I downloaded the PortableApps Suite, and a few other programs, and now I'm the proud owner of a 30 gig, usb-powered hard drive, with media playback capabilities, and portable versions of all of my favorite Mozilla apps, the open office suite, pidgin for multi-client chat, a few programs for privacy and fun little Mario Bros.-like game featuring Tux.
I'm using a few gigs to store some ISOs of Linux distros I'm wanting to try out, a copy of VMWare so I can play with them and an encrypted backup of several files I want to keep with me.

So far so good. Now I can turn my $15 2 gig black friday thumb drive into a linux on-a-stick/ recovery tool.

No comments: