Thursday, May 8, 2008

So much stuff going on lately.

I last posted almost five months ago. Since then, work has become even more hectic than I could have ever imagined.

My former supervisor threw a tantrum at work and was demoted. We ended up switching jobs. I was thrust into her role, more of a supervisory role, with much, much more paperwork, and a healthy dose of other extra responsibilities.

The company I work for is very technology forward. We embrace technology and the changes it can bring. The former co-worker did not. She doesn’t work here anymore because of this fear of change.

So now I have my old job back.

And my new one, too.

Before she left, I estimated that three people could be kept fairly busy 40 hours weekly with the work the two people in our department were tasked with. Now it’s only me. And we continue to grow.

So I’ve been busy like I never thought possible for the last few months. But in those few months, we were able to create a few tools which greatly simplify my job, making me a much more efficient worker. We’re also adding another person to my department, so I’ll be able to delegate some of my work down, again, and maybe get to spend my weekends…


Tinkering with my new house.


The Old Lady and I saw the silver lining in this slumping housing market and realized we could make a pretty sound investment. We bought a brand new house in a rapidly growing suburb of Springfield. We like it.

I now have a backyard (dirt, really, at this point) for the dogs to run amok. I now have an office to which I can retire and do nerdly things on computers and other gadgets. I now have a list of things to hang and paint and build. I really miss building things.





And all of this happened not a moment too soon, because….


The apartment the Old Lady and I had been inhabiting had become (unbeknownst to us) uninhabitable.

After maintenance came to fix the fifth water leak in the ten months we had been renting the apartment, they found a rather large mold infestation. (Pics for the brave among you) Over half of the walls on the first floor had mold growing on them.

The environmental inspector we hired to check on the air quality called our apartment a “petri dish.”

And the management has yet to apologize for any of it. They did, however, agree to let us out of our lease. This is, literally (and here I believe I use the word correctly), the least they can do.

And that’s pretty much why I haven’t posted in about half a year.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Well, it doesn't look so bad but I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. Pictures are like that. And mold is gross.

Jim said...

I was really getting sick of those fucking funny doctor names. Welcome back.

-al said...

Frankly, so was I.
and you're too kind about the doctor names being funny. they're amusing at best.

I've got a good post in the works about a hungry dog and a cellphone... stay tuned.

Jim said...

Ooh! I bet he eats the cell phone! Or maybe they're not connected at all!