Saturday, June 2, 2007

No thank you sir, I'll watch that for free.

Living in a household without even basic cable can take its toll on an individual. We're lucky to own a Hi-Def LCD flat panel. We use it mainly to play video games and DVDs. We did invest in a digital antenna which we use to pull in four Hi-Def channels: NBC, and three PBS channels. Of these three PBS channels, the first is standard PBS programming, broadcast in high definition. The second is an alternate channel, which broadcasts mostly the local shows, but some of the national as well. The third, all quilting, all the time.
PBS has some very good programming, as I am sure my readership is well aware. They also have some less than great programming. But the one constant on PBS is the 'Membership Drive.'
It seems to me that the local station is always looking for new members. I believe they have a 'Drive' every other week. And this weekend, was that other week, with every show interrupted five or six times an hour, so that over-caffeinated PBS personalities can solicit funds to keep 'quality programming like this on the air.'

'And, as an incentive to you, our faithful viewer, we'll throw in some item related to the show you're trying to watch, but can't, because we keep cutting to footage of septuagenarians manning phone banks, while I beg for your sponsorship.'

(This morning, it was a 'One Skillet Meals' cookbook. (One recipe they cooked during the roughly seven minutes of actual show they allowed actually raised my cholesterol over 100 points just be watching.) (I was watching this, because today's Saturday Morning Cartoons are absolutely un-watchable. Seriously, they're crap. But that's a story for later.))

But this evening, the local PBS channel aired John Fogerty: The Long Road Home in Concert. Now, this is a great concert. Amazing, even. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But they cut in every third song, or so, with their beggary, asking me for money. And as an incentive they offered up the CD, or the DVD, or BOTH. The price? $80 for the CD, $100 for the DVD, but they'd give you a break if you pledged $160, and give you both the CD and the DVD for the one low price.
So here's what I did:
I got up, made myself a little dessert, and came back just in time for the next segment. After they broke back to the studio for more panhandling after 'Keep on Chooglin,' I got up, putzed around the kitchen for awhile, then came back in time for more concert.
Then I hopped on Amazon.com and bought both items for the low, low price of $24.46.

Come on, PBS, if you're going to offer incentives for me to become a member, you're going to need to start offering me something I can't get anywhere else. Especially something I can't get for less than 1/6th the price you're wanting.
Lure me in with Red Green seasons on DVD. Or Austin City Limits. Or Nova or even a Jim Lehrer T-Shirt. Those I would gladly pay for. You'll do a lot better if you do.

5 comments:

Heather K said...

I was going to post something snarky here about what PBS might be really trying to do, but then I realized it was only Alan evil-ly luring me into my old joke killing ways. I don't want to be a joke killer Alan, I want to be a joke nuturer. Hell, I will even settle for just being a joke. But joke killer? No siree, not for me no more.





How's that for some high quality commenting?

-al said...

i commend you on your change of heart. but i'm confused as to why you would think that there was a joke to be killed. are you implying that i am anything less than serious about my desire for pbs to continue to receive support from 'viewers like you?'

Heather K said...

No, but I think you may be confused as to the doantion 'purchasing' the gift. I think the gift is just that, a gift of thanks, but you have to reach a certain level and it looks like you have tricked me into being overly literal again. Damn you Alan Bush (I said that with a creepy French accent--just so you know).

Margaret said...

Hey man, welcome back to the internet. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi... is it "Al?"

You are actually lucky the less TV you watch.

PBS has become mostly leftist propaganda for "Global Warming" the New World Order and whatever the "Fear o' the Week" is.

Most of the rest of TV is like Sat. AM cartoons and ads - distractions and fungus food to fill your brain.

Let your brain grow - stay on the internet. Even with its scams and weird theories, it's more real than TV or even most radio. Certainly more real than politics!

My blog is www.loftylife.info

My site: www.radiofreemind.com

I'd enjoy trading ideas with you!